Many people ask me what kind of gear I use out in the field. As a person working in technology, we can be quite pig-headed about the “best” this and the “best” that. I tend to be more agnostic about my choices in this matters, but I do see the value of letting you in on what I use everyday. All the following you’ll find in the bag I carry everywhere:
- The Computer: Microsoft Surface 6 Pro (Microsoft) – On the road you need a rock-solid, fast, if somewhat controversial, tightly integrated machine. I’d come around to Windows lately with it’s Terminal application.
- The Phone: Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max (Apple) – A great phone and an important utility device.
- Belkin USB-C to Ethernet Adapter (Amazon) – The first non-computer purchase was to ensure the Macbook could be wired.
- Apple Airpods (Amazon) – My everyday headphones, the Airpods are reasonably good at switching between the iPhone and the Mac.
- Pioneer Rayz Noise Cancelling Earphones (Amazon) – These earbuds are truly a marvel. For the moments when I need to focus and occasionally just quiet.
- Samsung T3 500GB External Hard Drive (Amazon) – This SSD external USB-C drive is super fast. I generally use it for storing and editing photos.
- Touro Mobile 3TB External Hard Drive (Amazon) – This is the workhorse drive I generally use for software, file transfers, backups and generally larger data.
- MobileLite G4 Media Reader (Amazon) – Reading the various types of media cards requires this useful tool.
- Kingston 128GB Data Traveler SE9 G2 USB 3.0 (Amazon) – For a boot diagnostics tool and everything else. I’ve CDs for this and floppies before that. Most computers can now boot from USB, so this this a must. Combine it with a tool like Easy2Boot, and you have something that is utterly fantastic.
And, the bag itself: Peak Design Everyday Messenger 15″ (website) – I can’t say enough good things about this bag, Peak Design, and the way it’s worked so well for me – check out my review. The bag is probably the most efficient way to carry a laptop, and it’s really amazing for flights.